Barb Peterson Memorial Orientation Hike 4/4
Fourth of four orientation hikes covering the 2017 Challenge course, 7.8 miles.
|What||Rachel Carson Trail Day Hike|
Oct 09, 2016
from 09:00 am to 03:00 pm
|Where||Harrison Hills Park|
|Contact Name||Bob Mulshine|
|Add event to calendar||
This hike begins at Bull Creek Road near Tarentum with about a mile of uphill road hiking. Soon we hit Burtner Hill, one of the biggest and toughest hills on the Trail, followed by some easy and pleasant terrain along the bluffs over the Allegheny River and ending in Harrison Hills Park. Meet at the Environmental Learning Center in Harrison Hills Park at 9 AM. Take Route 28 to exit 16, turn east (right if exiting northbound) at the end of the ramp, then right again at the T-intersection with Freeport Road. The park is about one mile down on the left. Take the left fork of the Park entrance road, then the next left and follow it up to the ELC.
- You don't need to notify the hike leader that you plan to attend. Simply show up on time.
- Please bring at least a quart of water (more if the temperature will be warm) and some energy snacks (e.g. Powerbar).
- We will meet at the hike end point and carpool to the start point, leaving a sufficient number of cars behind to carry people back to the start when the hike is over.
- The minimum unaccompanied age is 12.
- Plan for each hike to take 6 hours (up to 4 hours for the hike plus up to 2 hours for sign-in, announcements, car shuttling, and so forth).
- The hike is free. A suggested donation of $3 per person may be given to the hike leader on the day of the hike.